I am a chicken enchilada fiend and when I’m rocking the NSNG/Keto I miss them more than I can possibly say. But then it hit me…with the chicken filling jam-packed with savory, smokey, creamy, cheesy baked deliciousness, who needs the tortilla??
This is SO FREAKING EASY (and you can even use rotisserie chicken without the skin and totally skip the slow cooking process if you’re short on time).
Let’s do it!
- 3 lbs chicken breast
- 2 tbs whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbs garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 16oz jar salsa
- 1 small can diced chiles
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pasilla pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- Season chicken (you can give a quick sear on both sides for extra flavor).
- Place chicken in slow cooker and cover with salsa.
- Put the lid on and set on high for 4 hours.
- When chicken is almost done cooking, sauté onions until slightly caramelized.
- Add in all peppers and sauté with caramelized onions.
- Microwave frozen cauliflower and ring out with cheesecloth or clean dish rag until all the moisture is out.
- Take chicken out of the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Place in large mixing bowl.
- Combine chicken, cauliflower, onions, peppers, sour cream, and a small handful of the shredded cheese into a large mixing bowl and transfer to a lightly oiled casserole dish.
- Spoon some of the salsa from the slow cooker into the mix and sprinkle cheese until the entire top is covered.
- Place in broiler on high, checking every 30 seconds so the top doesn’t burn.
- Take it out when the cheese is gold and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, cut in strips, serve with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!
You can skip the cauliflower if you want to. I’m just on the constant hunt to secretly pack things with veggies where every I can and this is a SUPER easy way!!